Albury History Society AHS logo     Albury Church World War One Memorial Image of thick file: Men of Albury fallen in the First World War File of Men of Albury fallen in the First World War open at page 1 Men of Albury fallen in the First World War open in the middle

Details of memorials, service, honours, families and photographs of those who lost their lives in World War One were researched in 2018 by Peter Drinkwater.

This file, of some three hundred pages including the Albury War Memorial dedication service, is in the vestry of St Peter and St Paul's Church, Albury.

In 2020 Albury History Society scanned all 29 sections, which are available below.

Search Albury History for a subject, place, person or event:

The Men of Albury fallen in the First World War, 1914 - 1918

1.   They Gave Their Today - Summary

2.   Arthur Atfield

3.   James Elliot Botting

4.   Frederick Leonard Bullen

5.   Newdigate Owen Burne

6.   Charles William Cooper

7.   Philip Crowley

8.   Frank William John Dedman

9.   James George Dedman

10. William Webster Dyson

11. William Albert Greentree

12. Albert Edward Harrison

13. Albert Head

14. Lenox William Mcclure John

15. Cyril Edward King-Church

16. Barham Middleton

17. Robert William Middleton

18. James Moss

19. Herbert Adley Sheppard

20. Matthew James Shurlock

21. Charles Albert Victor Spooner

22. Albert Styles

23. Harry Styles

24. Matthew Thompson

25. Harry Tugwell

26. Theodore Wright VC

27. William Arthur Pauffley - not named on the Memorial

28. Aymer Edward Maxwell - named on a plaque in the Northumberland Chapel

- -  Gordon Hewitt appears on the memorial and in the service but no details have been found by They Gave Their Today or ourselves

29. Dedication Service, Sunday March 5th. 1922

From the Service of Commemoration programme:
THE MEMORIAL: The project for the Erection in the Parish Church of a Memorial, which should be a parochial tribute to the men killed in the War, was initiated in May 1920 at a Parish Meeting; as an outcome of the scheme proceeded under the direction of:
COMMITTEE: His Grace the Duke of Northumberland, The Rev. H.E.Crowley, Mr. W.W. Rhoades, Mr. C.A. Botting, Mrs. Malthus, Miss Capadose (Hon. Sec.), Mr. Z. Pollard, Miss M. King-Church, Mr. W. Knight, Mr. J. Gadd, Mr. G.H. Coe, Mr. G.E. Foard, Mr. A Osborne, Mr. E. Browne.
ARCHITECT: Mr. G.F. Metcalfe.
MASONS: Messrs. Arthur Moon & Sons.
CASTERS: The Albion Art Foundry. Ltd.

The stone-work—a niche with semi-circular arch, carved with double chevrons and supported by pillars—is in Hopton Wood Stone and is of a Romanesque character akin to the style of the church. In the niche is a bronze relief—kneeling figure of a soldier. The names of the fallen are incised in the stone below and the offering-up of their lives is shown, in symbol, by a lighted lamp borne in the soldier's hands. In the space under the arch is a painting; an angel reads from a scroll the record of all that was accomplished and endured in the great war, and with a harp and voice angels give thanks to God Who has given such gifts unto men.


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional
alburyhistory.org.uk is validated to the standards and accessible for text to speech readers and other aids